Thursday, June 23, 2011

Busting the Brand-IIT Myth

Indian Institute of Technology - IIT. These words bring a sense of pride and respect amongst most of us. It is considered a prestigious institute and every science student hopes to get in there.
Its more than obvious fact that the hype of IIT's and getting into them has increases manifold in the last decade, more so in the past 4-5 years. And of course, not to forget the hardships or the "Rat-Race" that has expedited to produce human machines that study 15-20 hours a day and crack the world's toughest exam- IIT-JEE. I myself was a part of it a couple of years ago. So, The point which I discuss is simple - "Are the Indian Institutes of Technology worth it?"


Now before even I finish the sentence I'd be flooded by numerous doubts by the cynics who prefer to call themselves "intellectuals" and "preservers of our constitutional fabric" and hence proclaim that everything the govt. does (or has done) is consitutional and hence word of God which cant be challenged. Anyways, I wish to take a couple of FAQs (or FAC, C-Comments)-

1. "You are just a loser and you are writing this simply because you didnt get into the IIT's and hence shouting - 'The Grapes are sour' "
A- Anyone who knows me personally, knows it very well that I don't study for accolades or marks. Though I am not Rancho of 3 idiots but neither am a whiner who scores 98% and still cries that he couldnt do well. I do my studies as per my likeness. So, I am not venting my frustration of not getting into some IIT.

2. "If IIT's are not good then how do you explain the 48L package @ IIT Madras"
A- Just take a break a guys. Not all of the 10000 students have been showered with a 48L package.
Moreover, the salary package is not the sole criterion of quality, even though in our country it may trend in such a way.

So, coming to the point. IITs are (in)arguably the best colleges in India for education in Engineering & technology. But when it comes to the global scale, they lag far behind the premier institutes of the world. IITB ranks 47 followed by IITD ranked 52, in the global ranking for top engineering institutes. The nation which boasts of a rich "demographic dividend", (a euphemism for population explosion) has just 1 university in top 50?

After all, why should such great institutes lag behind when their alumni are placed at the top (regardless of the field they venture into). May it be entrepreneurship, high paying jobs or even research in foreign universities..

This is gonna be long post, so I'll elaborate more in the next installments..
Please Please do lend me your feedback..
It matters a lot :)

KISS ;)
--
J

4 comments:

  1. Ok, first off, nice work, well done, bravo!

    The post was good and informative and most importantly fluid. However, there are some grammatical errors in the post. You should look into those, blogger.com recommends that you type your posts in MS Word and then post them to maintain grammatical accuracy. Secondly, the opening paragraph was a bit too long looking at the overall length of the post.
    Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Buddy! Thanx for the review..
    Ya, I know abt the first para being long. It wasnt a part of the original manuscript that I wrote on paper..
    As far as grammatical mistakes are considered.. I did proof read it. Maybe some typos.
    Please point them out in my inbox..
    Thanks for your reviews.. :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well written..!
    I've seen students who didn't make it through the IIT and therefore have lost most of their confidence which is really not good to know..
    This post can help them finally come outta the frustration they let themselves go into!

    ReplyDelete

Well Wishers