Sunday, September 25, 2011

Man is 'Mitey'

Bill Bryson's 'A Short History of Nearly Everything' is the best book I've ever read in my life. I have just read half of it and I love it more than India loves cricket. It is such a good book despite being from a non-fiction genre and that too SCIENCE, of all things. Any bibliophile who hasnt read this book doesnt know what a book is. Its about well, A short history of nearly everything. Starting from how earth was born to our present state.

But a book review wasnt the sole intention of this post. As I read more and more about our universe, I was just awestruck on how biiiiig it is. The fact that it is millions and billions of light years in size made no impact on me when I learnt them in school. But if you see them through analogies which are related to our daily life objects, it is literally 'Beyond Imagination'. And then, when I look upon myself, or even the human race as a whole I feel we are nothing more than a mite(hence the title). The universe is enormous, gigantic and so huge that adjectives fail to describe its scale.






Humans are bent on destroying this wonderful planet incessantly for what they call is 'technological development', but they forget that even though they may be very' might'y amongst current life forms, on universal scale they are to small to be even a 'mite'. Just a small event some light years away (i.e some billion odd kilometers away) and we'd be wiped from the face of earth, somewhat like the dinosaurs.







Its time we realize and feel humble about the life that has been given to us and our relationship with such a special planet which is our home. The forces of nature, not to mention the universe are too great to be tamed by any damn creation of we humans. All these talks of 'human spirit' and 'grit' are non-sense if there are no humans to tell the tale. The past is a witness of what became of even the mightiest of creatures. I know people might question it saying, what has the universe has to do with the amount of deforestation and mining, yada yada yada. But those who have carefully read the history of universe and the planet will not raise such cynical queries.

The sooner we mend our ways, the better.

KISS ;)
--
J

No comments:

Post a Comment

Well Wishers