Friday, January 27, 2012

Cricket: The new Opium

So, the Indian cricket team staring down at another whitewash. The entire India (including me) is disappointed and even angry with the performance of their "heroes". But you know the only section which is in fact silently elated?? It is the media.. The entire day one news channel or the other keep discussing the Indian fiasco and the cricket experts (most of who are big failures of their time) analyze what went wrong and what not?


But wait a second, weren't the same expert and the same media singing eulogies when the Indian team thrashed West Indies and England 5-0 a month ago. Clearly, the issue is much larger than this.. The media is playing a cunning game with the people. They are manipulating the sentiments to pursue their ulterior motives.

I remember an anecdote related to a roman king who used to organize fun fests every week in his capital so that people were busy in frolicking and didn't complain about the lack of civic amenities. What's happening in India is quite similar, everyone knows how "independent" the media houses are. They along with their lords are doing the same thing in India. They want the focus to be diverted from malnutrition, slow economic growth, rampant corruption and divisive politics. Cricket is almost a religion here and its is now being used to divert people's attention from the real issues.


Please tell me, isnt there anything more important than cricket in India? Shouldn't the malnutrition in India (which is more than Ethiopia and sudan) given prime time coverage than the angle by which Dhoni plays his shot? Have we lost our sense of priorities? Whenever I switch to any news channel what I see is CRICKET! CRICKET! CRICKET! I am not a hypocritical person and I admit I am cricket fan myself, but I am not a cricket addict. No matter India wins or loses I am not hooked to the news channels for all their "analysis".

Wake up Indians!! See through the veil of mist that the powerful corrupt have drawn before our eyes. A healthy interest in sports is good, but a morbid, addictive obsession will prove to be our debacle.

What do you think about it?
--
J

2 comments:

  1. I think same on the issue.
    Dito "Copy Paste" with your thoughts.
    :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!!
    Please share this on your wall if u agree :)

    ReplyDelete

Well Wishers